[coco] A couple of PC hardware questions

Bob Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 17 10:34:03 EST 2004

--- Ray Watts <rayanddoraleew at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Mark,  That REALLY deserves a WOW!  Note that I still have not
> received any replies except for your bit on the internal ZIP drives.
>
> Cheers, Griz
> I note that the specs for an ATX show a +5V VSB lead.  How is that
> used?

This is from memory, don't take this as gospel. For the gospel, search
Google. Basically there is a +5V line (probably the one that you
mention) that stays active when the computer is OFF. ISTR it's usually
a grey wire and you momentarily short it to ground to get the PS to
turn on. You MUST have a load attached! at least an IDE drive or
something before it will even come on. I don't think the CoCo itself is
enough of a load to run safely, but add a couple of drives and no
problem.

I look forward to hearing how it goes, as I have a portable CoCo3 with
internal floppy (hoping to add HD soon) that runs off a 12V lighter
socket. :-)

Cheers,
Bob

=====