[Coco] off-topic, space program

David Hazelton davehazelton at access-4-free.com
Thu Jan 15 18:33:09 EST 2004

jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
> John
>
> ALL consumer electronics has some or all of its parts manufactured outside
> the US. Even Motorola does not manufacture cellphones in the US anymore,
> Mexico and mostly China.  Sunbeam does not manufacture any of their
> products. Some thrid parrty company builds it for them in Taiwan or China.
>
> The state of Engineering here in the US is trending to project management.
> The engineers are overseeing designs and manufacture outside the US. The
> only real place to do full enegineering  and manufacture is in defense related
> electronics and in Civil Engineering. IF I had children entering college I would
> not instruct them to become an ELectrical or Mechanical Engineer. A Civil
> Engineer is okay. Civil Engineering is about one of the engineering jobs that
> will be difficult to ship oversees.
>

> james

This is not always true,  I used to work for a contract manufacture,
which was international.  We built things for IBM, Cisco, Lucent, Dell,
Nokia and the likes of these.   Most PCB boards are still manufactured
in USA,  the quality is much better here, thus a better product.  The
Plant I worked at was in a custom free zone, so we could build products
that said built in China "legally".

Anyways, shipping is the number one concern, our Asia plants built
things for the Asian market, our North American plants the US/Canada
market. Our European plants for Europe. Most of our R&D was in Canada.

That was what I saw in the technology market.

~David Hazelton