[Coco] off-topic, space program

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Jan 15 08:32:17 EST 2004

John

ALL consumer electronics has some or all of its parts manufactured outside
the US. Even Motorola does not manufacture cellphones in the US anymore,
Mexico and mostly China.  Sunbeam does not manufacture any of their
products. Some thrid parrty company builds it for them in Taiwan or China.

The state of Engineering here in the US is trending to project management.
The engineers are overseeing designs and manufacture outside the US. The
only real place to do full enegineering  and manufacture is in defense related
electronics and in Civil Engineering. IF I had children entering college I would
not instruct them to become an ELectrical or Mechanical Engineer. A Civil
Engineer is okay. Civil Engineering is about one of the engineering jobs that
will be difficult to ship oversees.

james