[Coco] off-topic, space program

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Jan 15 20:14:49 EST 2004

David

I used to work for Motorola and in the division I was in, by the mid 90's all our
PCBs except for prototypes were from Sinagapore or Taiwan. One help was
that several products were able to use 2 sided boards. By 1998 we were
using mainland China PCB vendors. Many of the components were sourced
out of Asia for plastics and speakers and transducers along with some other
IC's. Resistors/caps/inductors came from the standard like AVX, Kemet and
so forth. They have facilities all over the world.

Motorola now has no manufactureing in the US. All is second sourced or is
done in Mexico and China. Motorola now has design centers in China and
about 20 billion dollars invested into China. Yes there are still the Jabil,
Flextrtonics and other manufacturers. But for them to stay alive now they
need to either be partly in defense and into medical/biomedical segments.
Consumer electronics is not a money maker here.

I agree on the quality from China is not up to speed. They are not used to
doing business the western way. They are  gaining experience yearly though.
With teh movement to China yes transportation costs become more than
labor. The beauty of China is that their Yuan is pegged to our dollar. So as
the US dollar floats to others, the exchange rate bwteen the US and China
remains somewhat constant. That is a nice feature for US companies.

it is all part of globalization. When you ultimately look at wher einthe world is
the largest potential for gropwth in consumerism , the US is just not the palce
anymore not is Europe. China and India are the two areas that can sustain
10% or more growth for the next 20 years. That is where the money is to be
made and that is where everyone will end up.

james