[Coco] Re: Backup Methods.

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sat Jan 3 16:31:01 EST 2004

Brian G wrote:
> Hello Everyone.
> So I what is is used here by everyone? I sure there is a variaty of
> media and methods used.
> What is a good/ proper way to backup on the CoCo, Amiga, Windows, Linux.
> Or are they done the same?

COCO:

I would archive everything on an ISO-9660 cd-rom.  I am working on ways
of reading my floppy media now on a PC.

Then of course a program will be needed to get the COCO to read an ISO
9660 cd-rom.

Windows:

Archive data files and downloaded service packs on CD-ROM.  Restoration
of the system disk requires a reinstall of the operating system.

If you install a removable IDE bay, you can use a third party program to
do drive images.

Be aware that most new installations of Microsoft Windows have a
recovery partition that holds the operating system.  The "recovery"
CD-ROM supplied just starts it off, but does not contain the data.

There should be procedure to generate real recovery CD-ROMs.

On OpenVMS, for personal use, I keep critical files on more than one
computer.

I also have a removable IDE bay that I put a spare 40G or larger drive
in and do BACKUP/IMAGE of my system disk, and then a backup of the
important data on the data disk as another backup set.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only