[Coco] OT: Ping: Mac users

James Dessart james at skwirl.ca
Wed Aug 25 19:58:29 EDT 2004

On 25-Aug-04, at 8:50 PM, Ray Watts wrote:

> James,   Please clear me up on this.  I thought that there was
> OpenFirmware differences in the various Macs, both G3's and G4's.  I
> know I've installed upgrades for the iMac when none was available for
> other models.  Is it that OpenFirmware is independent of the software
> booting process that allows the same boot CD for all models?

OpenFirmware provides a basic IO mechanism for booting. There are
OpenFirmware differences, but the whole point of OpenFirmware is to
abstract from the underlying hardware. However, like Java, sometimes
little hairy differences can crop up, and older OpenFirmware Macs have
somewhat broken OpenFirmware, because Mac OS 9 was the only OS Apple
supported on the machines.

>  Also,  I have read that, sometimes, when a Mac wierdly goes
> flat-assed dead like Bob's did, the battery, PRAM zap, CUDA
> combination will restore it. Have you any experience in that area?

I have a bit, and yeah, those things can fix it up. Some really old
Macs (early-90s, without the keyboard power on) don't die from having
their batteries die, their clock and settings just get reset every time
they unplug the computer.

James