[Coco] OT: Ping: Mac users

Ray Watts rayanddoraleew at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 25 20:50:15 EDT 2004

James Dessart wrote:

>If you don't even get the OpenFirmware prompt, after zapping the PRAM,
>then the machine is most likely dead. And it's not the disk that's the
>problem. I'm surprised changing the keyboard stopped the flashing question
>mark, because the two are unrelated. A Mac should be able to boot without
>a keyboard (mine does, also a G4).
>
>OpenFirmware is like the BIOS on PCs, if it isn't working, then there's
>nothing in the world that'll make that machine boot. As Griz suggested, it
>may be time to replace the clock battery. Or just zap the PRAM. That may
>clear up all your problems.
>
>James

James,   Please clear me up on this.  I thought that there was
OpenFirmware differences in the various Macs, both G3's and G4's.  I
know I've installed upgrades for the iMac when none was available for
other models.  Is it that OpenFirmware is independent of the software
booting process that allows the same boot CD for all models?  Also,  I
have read that, sometimes, when a Mac wierdly goes flat-assed dead like
Bob's did, the battery, PRAM zap, CUDA combination will restore it.
 Have you any experience in that area?