[Coco] OT: Ping: Mac users

David Hazelton davehazelton at access-4-free.com
Wed Aug 25 20:47:28 EDT 2004

Ray Watts wrote:

> James Dessart wrote:
>
>> If you don't even get the OpenFirmware prompt, after zapping the PRAM,
>> then the machine is most likely dead. And it's not the disk that's the
>> problem. I'm surprised changing the keyboard stopped the flashing
>> question
>> mark, because the two are unrelated. A Mac should be able to boot without
>> a keyboard (mine does, also a G4).
>>
>> OpenFirmware is like the BIOS on PCs, if it isn't working, then there's
>> nothing in the world that'll make that machine boot. As Griz
>> suggested, it
>> may be time to replace the clock battery. Or just zap the PRAM. That may
>> clear up all your problems.
>>
>> James
>>

> James,   Please clear me up on this.  I thought that there was
> OpenFirmware differences in the various Macs, both G3's and G4's.  I
> know I've installed upgrades for the iMac when none was available for
> other models.  Is it that OpenFirmware is independent of the software
> booting process that allows the same boot CD for all models?  Also,  I
> have read that, sometimes, when a Mac wierdly goes flat-assed dead like
> Bob's did, the battery, PRAM zap, CUDA combination will restore it. Have
> you any experience in that area?

I have a PM7600 with a G4 400mhz upgrade running 10.3.5  I know that
this is pre-openfirmware, but when I was having problems booting
(installing 10) from 9.22 I had to reset cuda and force bootup to find
boot partition.  something like pressing C IIRC as it is booting up  or
it would just hang.  Of course I was also upgrading memory : )

David Hazelton