[Coco] again: CoCo RGB to VGA conversion

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Wed Aug 18 11:37:20 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/18/04 3:39:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
NickM at qm.qld.gov.au writes:

> Personally, I think a VGA adapter that buffers the first frame of full CoCo
>  video and then outputs a second frame interlaced with the first will give
>  nice high res (640x400) but I think this would only be suitable for display
>  of static images or slow update screens.

Could you explain that a little more?  DO you mean that the VGA display
should show successive frames from the Coco, so of 60 frames/sec, the even-numbered
frames in time order get the even scan lines, and the odd ones the odd scan
lines?

Else I'm not sure how that would fix the "blocky" appearance.

FWIW, the MM/1 OS-9/K machine has 64-x4-- video, and has options to interlace
or not interlace the screens.  Interlaced looks less blocky and smoother, but
seems a bit fuzzy, as the scan lines blend together.  (Note: I may have the
modes backwards).

Meanwhile, is there a consumer LCD TV/monitor that will just take the Coco3's
composite color video?  RGBA would be a huge plus, but many would settle for
a cheap composite display.  ISTR someone mentioned such a unit, where even
80-column text was readable (hard to believe, but?)  --Mike K.