[Coco] NitrOS-9 newbie needs some help

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Tue Aug 10 12:07:04 EDT 2004

Mike

You are correct in that the sharpest waveform for the clocks and
signal lines are not the best. Essentially the runners between ICs
are transmission lines. One of the assignments I had in my EMI
class was to model a clock with a given output impedance and vary
the load impedance and plot the reflections at three different clock
speeds.

I shudder to see what a poorly laid out PC mother board signals
look like with a FSB of 400Mhz. Runners on the PCB have to
consider RF transmission line theory and almost require an RF
engineer to overlook the layout for RFI and other nasties that occur
with clock speeds that high.

Even at 20 MHz you start to get into uglies on severely mismatched
runners.

james