[Coco] NitrOS-9 newbie needs some help

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Tue Aug 10 11:51:41 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/9/04 11:34:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dgacke at ektarion.com writes:

> If this were true you ought to be able to see a deformed clock pulse
>  using an oscilloscope. Have you or anyone else examined the clock lines
>    under the conditions described above?

ISTR putting my O-scope on the SCS lead out the cartridge port, before and
after removing those "government emission control" series R and shunt C.
With the R/C removed, I saw a nice sharp rectangular negative pulse.  With
those parts still in, it looked like a sagging bridge that barely touched bottom
in the middle.

I don't recall ever scoping the RAM control leads or E and Q clocks, but the
same probably applies.

ISTR that the proper, professional fix, that cuts the RFI emissions while not
degrading the signal as you add more loads, is to replace the series R with a
ferrite bead (inductor), and lose the shunt C.  Just thread the little bead
ring on a short piece of wire that replaces the resistor.

BTW, RFI emissions aside (like trashing radio and TV all thru the house),
having too sharp edges on the signals can cause ringing and reflections, which
probably won't cause much trouble at our clock speeds, but just thought I'd
mention that the swiftest, sharpest waveform doesn't always win.
--Mike K.