[Fwd: Re: [Coco] Old Coco Info]

Steve Ostrom smostrom at mn.rr.com
Thu Aug 5 23:51:15 EDT 2004

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [Coco] Old Coco Info
Date: 	Thu, 05 Aug 2004 22:49:27 -0500
From: 	Steve Ostrom <smostrom at mn.rr.com>
To: 	CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

>At 09:37 PM 8/5/04 -0500, Steve Ostrom wrote:
>

>>"ROM Programs Held Not Copyrightable:  A decision made in a federal
>>court has held that object-code programs in read-only memory cannot be
>>copyrighted.  One of the bases for the decision was that the object code
>>is not a true copy of the source code, because it is not in a
>>human-readable form.  The decision was made in a case involving two
>>competing computerized chess-game manufacturers.  Data Cash Systems Inc
>>sued J S & A Group Inc for producing a chess game that uses read-only
>>memory code identical to its chess-game program, which was copyrighted
>>in source code."  -- July 1980, pg. 150, BYTE
>>

>In case you never saw this:
>http://slashdot.org/features/00/01/20/1316236.shtml
>"There's nobody getting rich writing software"
>--Bill Gates

Dennis, that's incredible!!  What a fantastic interview!!  It sounds
like Bill became very defensive, almost right away.  Reading his words I
could almost hear him start to raise his voice as you kept catching him
on various points.  Man, you should have been a lawyer first, and a
musician second.  You're scary!

-- Steve --