[Coco] [Color Computer] Lower case

Jan Vanden Bossche jan80 at pi.be
Sun Apr 25 06:50:31 EDT 2004

Hallo,

I have finally disconnected bit.listserv.coco. One determined spammer
brought it down. Very sad. 'nuf said.

I heard the rumour that some late Coco II had lowercase. True ?

And in 2001 I posted the following message. Apparently, it was about a newer
video chip in later Coco's, that could display more useful text/background
combibnations. Sadly, the questons were never answered, and I lost my Coco
archive. Could anybody answer them ? (labeled [1] and [2])

L. Curtis Boyle <cboyle at mercurytickets.com> wrote in article
> Jan Vanden Bossche <jan80 at MailAndNews.com> wrote in message
> >
> > But sad to say - NONE OF THEM has lowercase, as checked by the program:
> > 10 for x=32 to 255:printchr$(x);:next
>
>     The BASIC ROM's were never updated for lowercase (unless you got
> ADOS, a Disk Extended Color Basic replacement/upgrade). To see if your
> computer has the right chip, try the following program:

I changed that to:

10 CLS:for x=32 to 255:printchr$(x);:next
20 POKE 359,57
30 FOR X=0 to 255 step 8:POKE 65314,x
40 PRINT at 448,x;:INPUT "",X$:next
50 POKE 359,&H7E

> On the 2nd VDG chip
> (which your Korean one probably has), you can get inverse video, true
> lowercase, filled border, different color set, and combinations
> thereof.

Yes, this is the result:

Value   LC   Foregr.   Backgr.   Border
  0     no   black     Li.Gr.    black
  8     no   black     Orange    black
 16     yes  black     Li.Gr.    black
 24     yes  black     Orange    black
 32     no   Li.Gr.    Drk.Gr.   black
 40     no   Orange    Brown     black
 48     yes  Li.Gr.    Drk.Gr.   black
 56     yes  Orange    Brown     black
 64     no   black     Li.Gr.    Li.Gr.
 72     no   black     Orange    Orange
 80     yes  black     Li.Gr.    Li.Gr.
 88     yes  black     Orange    Orange
 96     no   Li.Gr.    Drk.Gr.   black
104     no   Orange    Brown     black
112     yes  Li.Gr.    Drk.Gr.   black
120     yes  Orange    Brown     black

Notice that 96 to 120 are the same as 32 to 56.
For programming, mode 48 looks the best.

Actually, what is line 20 for: disable print vector ??? [1]

> > >And, all Color Computer
> > >2 units can only produce 32 columns stock (standard)
> >
> > I can live with that, for programing.
>
>     There are software options for 32, 42 and 51 columns by 21 or 24
> rows available, although they are slower then hardware text (even when
> using the 'stack-blasting' technique to speed up scrolling).

I suppose they are not accessible from BASIC ? [2]

Greetings from the TyRannoSaurus
Jan-80

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/CFFolB/TM