[Coco] CoCo3 power consumption

Bob theother_bob at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 25 03:16:25 EDT 2004

Okay, playing with the 3P, I finally hooked up an ammeter to it. The 3P by
itself draws about .77 amps sitting idle (with fdd & controller), add another
.5A with the LCD display connected. (Forgot to check it while accessing disk)

What all can be done to reduce power consumption in a CoCo3? I know there's
always the 63C09 processor. I suppose some other chips can be switched to CMOS,
is this advisable? Any other tips? I've considered removing the RF modulator...
maybe a power switch for it?

With the battery I'm using (a 12V emergency power pack - supposedly to jump
start a car with a dead battery) I get a couple hours continuous use while
actively accessing disk, playing games, etc.  I figure with an externally
powered monitor I'd get 3-4 hours, and with intermittent use probably add
another .5-1 hour.

peace,
Bob

=====