[Coco] CoCo gcc project

James Dessart james at skwirl.ca
Fri Oct 31 15:52:00 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 jdaggett at gate.net wrote:

> My programming skills in C are beginers level at best. I am better suited for
> assembly especially with Motorola's processors. I can write small modules in
> assembly and start to refresh and improve my skills in C/C++. My interests would be
> more in seeing code that could be used on both the Coco emulator and the Coco3
> itself using OS9. I can help out some in the math area. I have MSWord and can
> genereate PDF files and do documentation also.

Sounds good!  As for documentation, I think we'd be sticking to HTML,
since it's the most accessible form for everyone.

> Floating point should at least cover double precision.
>
> Math functions should also include the basic trig funtions.
> 	sine, cosine, tangent, arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent.
>
> These all have to be approxiamted by power series. There are some routines that I
> have for the HC11 that could be ported ot the 6809/6309.

Sounds good!  I'm not sure how to put those into gcc, but we can all take
a look.  The official gcc page is at
http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/gcc.html and there are documents
describing the compiler internals.  If you have trouble with those, I
might be able to help, I've been through them once before.

> I wished the 6809 had a DIV instruction!!!! Some base code to implement what the
> HC11 FDIV and IDIV instructions would be nice. Then you have 16 bit by 16 bit
> divide.

That would be good.  Any further support is good, although there might be
support there already, I'm not sure.

> What platforms are you developing gcc-coco on? WIN32 or Linux?

You can pick which you prefer, I run on Mac OS X.  For Win32, you'll need
Cygwin.  Not sure where to find it, or how to install it, though.

James