[Coco] Re: M.E.S.S. other 6809-based systems?

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Thu Oct 30 01:38:00 EST 2003

At 08:50 PM 10/28/2003 -0900, you wrote:

>That reminds me of a machine I have, byt haven't been able to get up
>and running, A Motorola Four Phase Systems S2000.  It is ratherr
>schitzo machine built on an active backplane.  I/O is handled by a
>dedicate CPU on the bridge of the backplane.  One side is 8-bit, and
>runs with a 6809 CPU card, and a memory card, the other side is 16-bit
>and runs witha 68010 card and a memory card.  Apparently from what I
>have come to understand.  It was built to be backward compatible with
>an earlier 6809 based machine which ran a real time OS which
>supposedly was a descendant of OS-9 level 1, basically extended for a
>means of paging for a greater than 64k memory space (yes, like OS-9
>Level 2, but the work was done by Motorola rather than Miroware).  On
>the 16-bit side th 68010 runs a version of Unix whose entire
>filesystem is a single file on the 6809 side.  In addition the
>terminals I have for the machine both operate using 6809s.

Neat.  How can you load or attach software on the 6809 part of that
machine, and the terminals?  I suppose if you read any EPROMs and run a
disassembler over them, then took the source and made sure it was
EDTASM-friendly, you could rewrite/alter the software for what you have.

CCASM can create ROM images from 4K to 256K, in pure format (binary).