[Coco] Re: M.E.S.S. other 6809-based systems?

Theodore A. Evans alxevans at concentric.net
Wed Oct 29 01:52:00 EST 2003

On 10/29/03, Roger Taylor wrote:

> At 11:22 PM 10/28/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>> In a message dated 10/28/03 5:04:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>> rtaylor at bayou.com writes:

>> Didn't the Fujitsu machine have TWO 6809/6309s?  One for I/O and screen
>> graphics, the other for "real" work and the OS?  --Mike K.

> Now that would be a treat to play around on.

That reminds me of a machine I have, byt haven't been able to get up
and running, A Motorola Four Phase Systems S2000.  It is ratherr
schitzo machine built on an active backplane.  I/O is handled by a
dedicate CPU on the bridge of the backplane.  One side is 8-bit, and
runs with a 6809 CPU card, and a memory card, the other side is 16-bit
and runs witha 68010 card and a memory card.  Apparently from what I
have come to understand.  It was built to be backward compatible with
an earlier 6809 based machine which ran a real time OS which
supposedly was a descendant of OS-9 level 1, basically extended for a
means of paging for a greater than 64k memory space (yes, like OS-9
Level 2, but the work was done by Motorola rather than Miroware).  On
the 16-bit side th 68010 runs a version of Unix whose entire
filesystem is a single file on the 6809 side.  In addition the
terminals I have for the machine both operate using 6809s.

--
 ²CLEARED²    This tagline approved by Customs    ²CLEARED²
Theodore (Alex) Evans            | alxevans at concentric.net
94-1071 Kepakepa St. Unit #C-1   | http://www.concentric.net/~alxevans
Waipahu, HI 96797                | ICQ 78089262
x                                | (808) 676-0123         2B v ~2B = ?