[Coco] Re: MESS mouse and keyboard question

Dean Leiber adit at 1stconnect.com
Wed Oct 29 19:14:00 EST 2003

>I would actually recommend against using MESS with NitrOS9 3.0; there is a
>nasty disk corruption bug that causes disks to be garbled with NitrOS9 on
>MESS.  This bug show up when running older NitrOS9 versions, nor with
>"classic" OS-9.
>
>Originally I thought that this MESS bug would be easy to track down and fix,
>but Robert Gault and I spent hours gathering information and tracking down
>the bug but to no avail yet.  It seems to not have to do with floppy timing,
>as we've discovered that the bug doesn't manifest itself in cc3disk but
>rather somewhere higher level.  I can say that tracking down this bug may
>require some NitrOS-9 expertise that I do not have.

Yes, I believe I've seen this. Most, but not everytime,I try to move a
file from a virtual floppy to another floppy or the virtual HD, I get
error 242 (write protection), however the file does show up, albeit
messed up (Ident reports bad CRC.) Sometimes if you delete the 'bad' file
and retry the copy procedure it works. My guess is that the problem
resides with the RBF module, because if I try copying from the ramdisk to
the harddisk I have the same errors. As far as I know CC3disk has nothing
to do with the ramdisk or the harddisk.

I'll try grabbing an older version of Nitros and see if it goes away.

Dean