[Coco] Re: MESS mouse and keyboard question

Nathan Woods npwoods at cybercom.net
Wed Oct 29 19:52:01 EST 2003

> Yes, I believe I've seen this. Most, but not everytime,I try to move a

> file from a virtual floppy to another floppy or the virtual HD, I get
> error 242 (write protection), however the file does show up, albeit
> messed up (Ident reports bad CRC.) Sometimes if you delete the 'bad'
file
> and retry the copy procedure it works. My guess is that the problem
> resides with the RBF module, because if I try copying from the ramdisk
> the harddisk I have the same errors. As far as I know CC3disk has
nothing
> to do with the ramdisk or the harddisk.

Robert and I came to a similar conclusion.  I've run more traces than I
can count and the orders to corrupt the sector definitely appear to be
issued by the RBF module.  Apparently, somehow these corruptions occur
because a sector gets written to but is somehow incorrectly cached and
subsequently written to the disk.

> I'll try grabbing an older version of Nitros and see if it goes away.

>From what I understand, older versions of NitrOS do not have this
problem.  I'm inclined to believe that the best way to solve the problem
would be to track down exactly what change created the bug.

I do have to say that it seems very odd to me that the RBF module would
cause the bug.  For the most part MESS emulation bugs tend to be
hardware oriented; in other words they are things like "the timing for
XYZ is off by a few microseconds", or "IO address $FFxx is not working
correctly".  RBF doesn't appear to do anything like this directly.  At
one point, I suspected that it could be a 6309 specific bug, just
because that code is less time tested then the 6809 core (which is used
by 400+ MAME emulations).  That idea got nixed when Robert repro'd the
bug in NitrOS-9 6809.  I guess time will tell.