Mounting Linux partitions (Was: [Coco] Re: bio)

David dbree at duo-county.com
Tue Oct 21 09:38:01 EDT 2003

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 02:08:17AM -0500, Roger Taylor wrote:
> At 02:52 AM 10/21/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>
> I know this isn't exactly CoCo related unless I mention that I'm almost
> done with CCASM for Linux :), but how do you set something to automount
> when you boot into Linux?
>
> I keep having to call up bash, go into /mnt, then mount -t vfat /dev/hda1
> windows   (my C: drive).  I port files back and forth this way all the time
> while I'm working on CCASM.  And I *hate* typing it each session.

> If you could tell me the exact procedure, not assuming I know much about
> Linux, I would appreciate it. :)

Roger, you may get several responses, but here's mine..

You do it in /etc/fstab.  You might want to do a $man fstab to get it
right..  You'll need a line something like:

/dev/hda1	/windows	vfat <whatever options you want> 0{probably}
0{probably}

No doubt, you already have the (not necessarily) empty directory windows
in your root partition or the mount wouldn't work now.

If you don't want /windows to automatically mount you can add the option
"noauto" to the options list, and it will not mount at boot, but will
mount with the simple command "mount /windows".  The option "user"
should be there, too, so that you don't have to be root to mount it.

Again, man fstab will give you further insight into the subject.

> Oh, and during boot, I get the message that my swap partition doesn't exist
> and a [failed] message, yet a few messages down it says, swap enabled.  How
> do I go back and add my swap partition?

Do you have an entry something like:

/dev/hdb3       none       swap    sw       0   0

in your fstab? (hdb3=>whatever your swap partition is)