[Coco] Re: bio

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Oct 21 08:12:00 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 21 October 2003 03:08, Roger Taylor wrote:
>At 02:52 AM 10/21/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>>But now I have an instant problem.  I came home, downloaded and
>>installed all the updated packages for the period I was gone, and
>> now the only thing I can print correctly is the cups test page.
>> Mozilla 1.5 and kmail 1.52 are both printing light grey, full
>> bleed sheets of paper instead of what you sent, even for pure
>> text.  This is RH-8.0, with kde-3.1.1a (super nice).  Booted
>> Kernel is 2.4.22-rc2, and all this worked before I left 2 months
>> ago.
>>
>>I do much of my bill-paying online, and I like to print the bank
>>statements for my records when I'm done, so this is a bummer.
>>
>>Has anyone else encountered this?
>
>Not yet, at least.  I am still wondering why RH 9.0 is telling me it
> sees my Lexmark X73 all-in-one USB, yet I thought Linux couldn't
> use WinPrinters.  I haven't tried yet, been too busy.
>
>I know this isn't exactly CoCo related unless I mention that I'm
> almost done with CCASM for Linux :), but how do you set something
> to automount when you boot into Linux?
>
>I keep having to call up bash, go into /mnt, then mount -t vfat
> /dev/hda1 windows   (my C: drive).  I port files back and forth
> this way all the time while I'm working on CCASM.  And I *hate*
> typing it each session.
>
>If you could tell me the exact procedure, not assuming I know much
> about Linux, I would appreciate it. :)

Put it in the /etc/fstab file, something like this:
/dev/hda1           /dos                windows defaults        0 0
although in mine, its vfat, not windows.  Old 6.2 install for bios
updates, don't need it anymore, its all in the bios...

and this for the swap
/dev/hdaX           swap                swap    defaults        0 0
where the X is whatever partition number it actually is.  But it
should be there in this file already.

>Oh, and during boot, I get the message that my swap partition
> doesn't exist and a [failed] message, yet a few messages down it
> says, swap enabled.  How do I go back and add my swap partition?

See above.  But here I suspect there may be something leftover
from an older install thats giving the dual message.  I don't
see the swap message but once, as its being mounted by the
"swapon" command.  I'm assuming that it actually is enabled
and in use if need be, check with xosview or similar utilities
if you are running x.  I think 'top' will show its usage too
for shell users, in the summery at the top of the screen IIRC.

>thx

I hope this is of some help, Roger.