[Coco] Cloud-9 CompactFlash to IDE question.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Oct 21 01:06:01 EDT 2003

On Monday 20 October 2003 23:22, John E. Malmberg wrote:
>I notice that the CompactFlash to IDE system that Cloud-9 is
> offering states that CompactFlash is not Hot Swappable.
>
>I have a computer with a removable IDE drive bay, and I can replace
> IDE hard drives using it with out shutting the computer down.
>
>So what I am wanting to know from those that have more experience
> with the CompactFlash cards, is if I put the Cloud-9 one in one of
> the removable cases, like CompUSA sells, would I be able to insert
> and remove it with out hurting the CompactFlash.
>
>This would give me a good way of transfering files to/from a COCO
> with from my computer.
>
>-John
>wb8tyw at qsl.net
>Personal Opinion Only

Since those "drawers" have a key fob driven switch to remove the power
before the case can be removed or inserted, I'd think it would work
ok.  I think I'd try it first with the smallest, cheapest CF card you
can get though, until its been done enough times to prove it will
work.

We've been doing it with 20-80 gig IDE drives at the tv station for
years, and any drive losses have been due to normal wear and tear on
el-cheapo drives, the 20 and 30 giggers.  Playing video from them
puts the seek times to the ultimate test in that useage & not all are
up for the challenge 100% of the time.  We've also had, in earlier
times, the equivalent of multipass failure, wherein an oft played
spot starts to error out and pixelize and we have to reload it off
the CD's we use for archival storage, sometimes several times by the
end of that spots flight.  Newer drives don't seem to be near as
prone to that, and it shouldn't be a problem with CF as thats a
magnetic phenomenon only.