[Coco] PNY USB SmartMedia Card reader/writer

Robert Sherwood photorob00 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 13 00:14:00 EDT 2003

At 10:53 PM 10/12/03 -0400, you wrote:

>In a message dated 10/12/03 6:14:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, wb8tyw at qsl.net
>writes:
>
> > I do not know if anyone has come up with a COCO interface to a
> >  SmartMedia card, but if they have, you may want to check your local
> >  Staples store.
> >  I just picked one up as an unadvertised special with a 100% rebate.
>
>Darn, and I just paid $40 to Rat Shack for a 64 MB card.  Say, how big a card
>did you get?  I got a 128MB card for my Fujifilm last year at WalMart, and
>had to pay $90 for it (but it holds like 170 photos).
>
> >  It appears that the Cloud-9 uses Compact Flash, and I think that is a
> >  different card.
>
>Yes, there are Compact Flash, SmartMedia, Secure Digital, and of course
>screw-the-world Sony's Memory Stick.  Those are the choices for digital
>cameras --
>may be others for other apps.  --Mike K.

There's also the fairly new xD card - similar width and thickness to the
Secure Digital, but about half the length.  The only place I've seen those
used is in some of the newer FujiFilm digicams (taking lessons from Sony
perhaps?  ;) ), so it appears you lucked out there Mike.

I was also just reading the other day about a new offering from Sony -
can't remember the name but it's a version of the Memory Stick that's about
1/3 the length.

On the brighter side, earlier this year Lexar released 2GB and 4GB Compact
Flash cards.  They're currently quite expensive (about $700 for the 2GB and
$1500 for the 4), but the possibilities boggle the mind.

--Rob