[Coco] PNY USB SmartMedia Card reader/writer

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz bathory at maltedmedia.com
Mon Oct 13 00:24:01 EDT 2003

At 12:12 AM 10/13/03 -0400, Robert Sherwood wrote:
>On the brighter side, earlier this year Lexar released 2GB and 4GB Compact
>Flash cards.  They're currently quite expensive (about $700 for the 2GB and
>$1500 for the 4), but the possibilities boggle the mind.

The only unboggling part is their limited write life.

I thought these would be terrific RAMdisk kind of things, especially for
audio, but I was warned away by a friend who thoroughly puts new & hyped
stuff to the test for his Dutch PC magazine. Though great for cameras and
infrequent-access-cycle devices, he told me the limited number of writes
make them unreliable for any long term disk emulation.

Anybody with more info on this?

Dennis