[Coco] News gateways

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri Oct 10 15:02:01 EDT 2003

tim lindner wrote:

> But that was my point. The Powers That Be won't create
> comp.sys.tandy.coco until a need is shown.

Using news.gmane.org, the group gmane.comp.sys.coco is available, along
with several other possible names.

> So until bit.listserve.coco is shut down,

All that needs to be shutdown is the gateway to the princeton.edu list
or get it redirected to this list.

Except for maybe one or two newsgroup postings a year, all the junk is
coming directly from the princeton.edu server.

Since all the people who are currently using bit.listserv.coco need to
do is point their newsreaders at news.gmane.org in addition to their
local news server.  Both Mozilla and Outlook can do this.

> _and_ the Color Computer
> traffic increases in comp.sys.tandy we won't get our own group.

I do not see what that has to do with it.  Getting the new group created
is usually not the problem, it is getting all the news servers to carry
it that can be a hassle.

Using the news.gmane.org server avoids all of this.

> I believe comp.sys.6809 would be the wrong group to target for
> expansion.

Not with out an invitation from an overwhelming majority of it's current
users.

Now http://www.gmane.org/ has extended an open invitation for groups
like this to use it for newsgroup gateways to their mailing lists.

I think that the gmane.org option makes sense.  It also may bring in
more COCO users.

Apparently the mame / mess mailing list is available there as a
newsgroup, just to give you the idea of what the neighborhood is like.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only