[Coco] ftp.maltedmedia

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Mon Nov 17 02:42:00 EST 2003

At 01:00 AM 11/17/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>At 11:11 PM 11/16/03 -0600, Roger Taylor wrote:
> >Dennis, I'm planning to add a menu item in the Portal-9 IDE that will (upon
> >request) check for updates to the program by logging on and reading some
> >sort of text file that lists the latest version etc.  CoCo3.com can't do
> >anonymous ftp.  I'm looking for an ftp server where I can upload a small
> >text file and maybe an upgrade module that can be posted for access soon
> >after.  Is there a way to get a user directory?
>
>Sure. I'm happy to set one up for CoCo projects of various kinds. It's not
>a matter of space, just of time management for me because I can't set up
>user-accessible upload directories.
>
>There is only one /incoming/ directory, so please send along an email with
>a list of what you've sent and where it should go. That way I don't have to
>follow up if there have been different project uploads.
>
>Dennis

This sounds great.  What if I prefix all IDE files with something like
"portal9" or "p9" so that it would even be easier to know what needs to be
placed in the directory?  This would save you even more time from not
having to read any instruction e-mails, I am guessing.

If filenames can be over the 8.3 limit, then a typical file would be
"portal9_currentversion.txt", which would get overwritten.  Portal-9 would
check the ftp directory and report to the user if a new version is
available, or perhaps if there are new IDE projects available?

I love the idea of project swapping.  This could allow the IDE user to post
his projects which would do an ftp put to the incoming directory of a
single archived project file, prefixed with the name "portal9_" so you
would know where it goes, then whenever it becomes available in that
folder, the IDE could regognize the projects available and prompt to get
the new ones, etc.

Ofcourse, the same thing can be done by the user just zipping up a project
folder and placing it online.  Anyone could download it, unzip it to their
#:\Portal-9\Projects\ folder and go in and build it right away.