[Coco] Need Teac FD50a-03 spindle motor driver schematics (fwd)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Nov 9 15:28:02 EST 2003

On Sunday 09 November 2003 14:40, Marty Goodman wrote:
>Gene,
>
> Hello there, old friend!  Long time, no see or chat!

Dittos back at ya, Marty.

>I'm sorry, but I don't think I've got schematic info on the
> controller board in general, or the spindle motor controller in
> particular, for the Teac FD-50A-03 5.25 in drive.  It's just been
> too long.  And while I do still retain (for how long? probably not
> long) all my old CoCo and CoCo Accessory schematic and software
> technical files, I can't recall ever having schemnatic info on the
> controller boards for disk drives... with possible exception of the
> old Tandon T100 full height.  And I don't think I kept THAT.

I have quite a collection of the teac 55 series stuffs, factory
manuals complete with schematics.  So those I can look up.  But the
50A family is a generation older yet, full height stuffs.  In this
case the spindle is belt driven with a good sized 3 phase motor with
a tach winding, all tied to a circuit board mounted in the bottom of
the drive, about 1.5"x3" in size.  It interfaces with the main board
of the drive with a 3 pin plug, the third one for on/off control.

>Worse, I'm in New York City right now, far from my CoCo files (which
> are at my California residence).  IF you like, feel free to give me
> a gentle reminder after November 18, and I'll do a check for you to
> see if, on some long offchance, I can find the info you seek.
>
>It was Art Flexser who called your query to my attention.  He lives
> in Miami, but he was up here yesterday in the New York City area,
> at his childhood home in New Jersey, dealing with a death in the
> family.  We got together and strolled across the Brooklyn Bridge
> together as the total lunar eclipse of 11/8 approached totality,
> last night.

Neat!  My condolences to Art too. I was fighting with a printer
problem which I still don't have fixed, plus I needed to get some
winks and go to the transmitter about 3AMish, so I missed it.

>Actually, I don't subscribe to this list, and hadn't even know
> Dennis Kitz had provided a new haven for it to shelter subscribers
> from spam, until Art told me last night.

Yes, and its working quite well IMNSHO.  Please subscribe when you get
home.

>How is Dennis Kitz?  I think of him, periodically.  He's an
> outstandlingly brilliant and kind fellow, who has had more than his
> share of trials in life.  I hope he's doing well, now.  Or at
> least, is happy and continues to be creative. Ewe out dere, Dennis?
>  Allow me to send you my best wishes.

I expect ypu've gotten a reply by now, I think Dennis monitors this
fairly close.

Keep me in mind for when you get home & might have a chance to
excavate a bit in the docs area.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M