[Coco] Best emulator for Windows nowadays?

Ciaran Anscomb cocomalt at 6809.org.uk
Tue Aug 29 08:55:32 EDT 2017

Steve Bamford via Coco wrote:
> > "2) MAME/MESS by far does a better job of displaying artifact colors than
> > the other emulators."
>
> I think the received opinion is artefact colours are also pretty good on
> XRoar. :)

Cheque's in the post ;)

But yeah, if you pick "simulated" cross-colour renderer, XRoar will
calculate the artefacting, and supports:

- normal NTSC hi-res red/blue artefacts
- "PAL-M" equivalent green/purple artefacts
- forced "both lines active during colour burst"

Though that last one is based on some assumptions and I've not got a
good test case yet.  I remember reading a thread where Sock Master had
demoed this, but can't for the life of me remember where it was.

What XRoar *doesn't* do is extend the artefacting calculations across
arbitrary resolutions: whatever size screen you use, you'll have a
scaled-up version of the 640-pulse-wide screen used to render VDG output.
Some future OpenGL shader additions may tackle this (as well as horizontal
& vertical colour bleed etc.).

..ciaran