[Coco] Does anyone know how to boot a Linux machine straight to a CoCo emulator?

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Sat Dec 5 04:49:13 EST 2015

On SuSE linux, you might be able to edit /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager (I have not tested this). Set
DISPLAYMANAGER_AUTOLOGIN="cocoemuuser"
where cocoemuuser is the name of a user (not root) on your system to auto login. Set
DISPLAYMANAGER_PASSWORD_LESS_LOGIN="yes"
Finally, create a .xinitrc in that users home directory containing something like this:

====
#!/bin/bash
#
# Sample .xinitrc for SuSE Linux
# This script is called from 'startx' when you start an X session
#

#
# In case everything goes wrong, we at least fall back to a plain xterm
#
failsafe="xterm -ls -T Failsafe -geometry 80x24-0-0"
trap "exec $failsafe" EXIT SIGHUP SIGINT SIGPIPE SIGTERM SIGIO

#
# Some bash (1 and 2) settings to avoid trouble on a
# failed program call.
#
set +e > /dev/null 2>&1
set +u > /dev/null 2>&1
set +o posix  > /dev/null 2>&1
if type shopt > /dev/null 2>&1 ; then
    shopt -s execfail
else
    no_exit_on_failed_exec=1
fi

#
# Source common code shared between the
# X session and X init scripts
#
. /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.common

#
# Special for twm
#
case "$WINDOWMANAGER" in
    *twm) xsetroot -solid darkslateblue
esac

#
# Run CoCo emulator here
#
cd /directory/where/emulator/is/installed
mess coco3 &

#
# finally start the window manager
#