[Coco] Does anyone know how to boot a Linux machine straight to a CoCo emulator?

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Sat Dec 5 01:02:13 EST 2015

Hi John,
If I remember correctly, you can put in a login that executes whatever program you wish other than the shell.  Just don't do this on your only login for your Linux system or you will never ever be able to get back into your system without doing some very special procedures that is if you can boot your version of linux into single user mode which all the linux systems I've used over the years could do except one.
If memory serves, create a new user for your linux system that you wish to use to run your Coco Emulator on login.
After the new user is successfully created, then change to the etc folder.  In the etc folder is the password file.  I don't exactly remember the spelling of the password file, but I think it is either password or passwd.  Originally, the password file only has read permission for the owner which is root.  As an administrator, ie root, give the password file write permission.
Once you have write permission for the superuser root only, edit the line in the password file for the new user you just created by following the shell command for you system, ie sh, tsh, or other shell command, with the pathname/filename of the Coco Emulator you want to run when you login.
Remember to give this new user permission to run the emulator.  Permission errors have a way of sneaking up on you and biting you in the butt!  Read the following caution very carefully.
Caution:  Definitely do NOT do this for the superuser root or any other normal user for your linux system!!!  Only do this procedure for the new user just created that will run the emulator on login.  If this caution/warning is ignored and you do this on your only user login, your linux system will be locked.
If you want to boot the emulator on power on of the computer that runs linux, I would highly recommend AGAINST it.
I hope this helps.  Do let me know how you fair with this procedure.

Kip Koon
computerdoc at sc.rr.com