[Coco] Does anyone know how to boot a Linux machine straight to a CoCo emulator?

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Sat Dec 5 16:31:39 EST 2015

PS: Although I have not tested this, the theory is that although the emulator should auto start, you should still be able to access a text login prompt by pressing CTRL-ALT-F1 through F6. The first section in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager sets up the X11 session to automatically login, and the second section in the users .xinitrc should launch the emulator with the X11 window manager. If you don't want the window manager you could replace the .xinitrc with a file containing just the following (I think).

#!/bin/bash
exec mess coco3

Or something similar. This example is for SuSE linux, which happens to be what I run at home. Other linux distributions will differ.