[Reynolds-L] REYNOLDS & MALONES LUNENBURG CO VA>HALIFAX CO VA>OGLETHORPE CO GA BEFORE 1800

vtoole vtoole at myinu.net
Sat May 2 14:46:53 EDT 2015

I am subscribed to between 30-40 e-mail lists on rootsweb.com.  I am not a
paid member of ancestry.com.  I have not been getting that many postings
from my lists either as a previous poster asked today in a message I got
from this list.  A few years ago I would get maybe 15-20 per day.  Guess
people had rather pay than use the free part.

I am interested in the families of James Reynolds and his father-in-law,
Daniel Malone, Sr., who were both in  Lunenburg County, Virginia in the
early 1770's.   The Malones were originally in Lunenburg Co., Va. along with
James Reynolds who was married to Susannah/Susan, dau. of Daniel Malone, Sr.
sometimes before the early 1770's.

James Reynolds has been a "stone wall" for years.  I have been doing
genealogy research since 1967.  It was not until the Internet developed that
I was able to connect with some other posters and through the Malone lines
to prove James Reynolds(sometimes Runnels, etc.) out of Georgia back to
Lunenburg County, Virginia.  I am looking for parents of James Reynolds, Sr.
One THEORY is that he MIGHT HAVE BEEN an immigrant from Scotland as he was
"handy" to witness several mortgage deeds for a company of Glasgow, probably
Scotland.  There is a test kit of markers on  a Y-DNA test for this line f
on the Reynolds page through the familytreedna web site.  It is not all that
organized yet regarding comparisons with paper trails, so I have not
determined how far back paper trails are researched on any of the other
lines with which it is grouped.  The group was just under "George."

I have actually been to the court house in Lunenburg several years ago.  It
is "almost" out in the middle of nowhere.  There is almost no town there.
You need to "pack a lunch", get gas in your vehicle before getting there and
plan to stay somewhere else for the night.  On the other hand parking is not
a problem!  This from a person who lives in rural East Texas where cell
phones get no signal and whose Internet connection is dialup.  Had a really
good researching experience there.  I easily found the records I was
seeking.

               Daniel Malone, Sr. died c. 1795 with a will in Halifax
County, Virginia.  The Malones were originally in the very earliest records
of Lunenburg Co., Va.   James Reynolds was there early enough to marry
Susannah/Susan/Suky, dau. of Daniel Malone, Sr., sometimes before the early
1770's as I previously stated.  I think James Reynolds had to come into the
area from somewhere else.  I also think that the families must have
physically moved from Lunenburg to Halifax County rather than being "cut
into" the "new" county.

A big thick red book has been compiled on the Malones whose origins are lost
in the lack of early records on what was then the Virginia Frontier.

Susannah/Susan was deceased c. 1790-1795 and James Reynolds had moved to
Oglethorpe County, Georgia, by c. 1798 and eventually fell into Greene
County near Woodville where he died c. 1823 with a will.  Seeking parents of
James Reynolds, Sr.  One daughter had married Featherston Cross in Halifax
records.  My line "daughters out" when James's daughter marries Samuel
Durham in 1801 in Oglethorpe County, Georgia.

Vivian Toole Cates, Mound Prairie, Allto, Texas 1-936-858-3801