[Papyrus-L] Possible alternatives to Papyrus

Andrew Wilson andrew.wilson at arch.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 10 12:52:01 EST 2011

I still run Papyrus, in a DOS box under Windows XP. I've been using it
since I started my doctoral thesis in 1993, and I now have 96273
references on the database. I haven't found an alternative that handles
keywords and notecards (or equivalents) so well, and Papyrus is also
beautifully designed. So I continue to use it despite the fact you can
no longer paste easily between it and Word, and you can't run the
auto-extract routine on Word documents, and outputting references as a
formatted list that preserves foreign accented characters is a pain
requiring one to open the file using WordPad as MS-Dos text, then save
as a Word file, etc... But I've got too much invested in it to change,
and conversion routines to Reference Manager etc. seem to lose the
notecards...

I know the topic of updating the software was discussed a number of
years ago, but if there is a chance of developing a version for Windows,
I and many others would love to see it !

Meanwhile, does anyone have anyone work-arounds or fixes for the issues
above...?

best wishes, and thanks again to Dave for creating a fantastic program
in the first place,

Andrew Wilson
Professor of the Archaeology of the Roman Empire
Institute of Archaeology
36 Beaumont St
Oxford
OX1 2PG
UK

Tel: +44 (0)1865 278247
Fax: +44 (0)1865 278254
Email: andrew.wilson at arch.ox.ac.uk
Web page: http://users.ox.ac.uk/~corp0057

On 10/02/2011 16:12, James Mallet wrote:

> I changed over to Reference Manager a few years ago now (see prev.

> posts), but I agree with Raisa that Papyrus was very user friendly. I

> too would love to see updated Papyrus for newer windowing operating

> systems.

> There are still some really annoying things with Reference Manager and

> probably Endnote too.

> One is that, now that Thomson/ISI have a virtual monopoly of

> bibliographic software (Endnote, Reference Manager, and ProCite), they

> don't ever seem to bother fix the obvious annoyances with their

> systems. Probably for the same reason, the programs are also very

> expensive for what they do. In spite of not fixing up the program

> much, they frequently issue new versions, which all cost more as well.

> I've heard Zotero is good (and open source), but others have told me

> that's annoying too, and you have to run it through Mozilla Firefox.

> The new one I've heard about is Mendeley http://www.mendeley.com/ .

> As I understand it you can keep your references online with them,

> format references for journals, cooperate with word processors, as

> well as link PDFs and share references and online PDFs with your

> research group and/or friends. And it's completely free. Sounds kind

> of like a music sharing site.

> However, I suppose it's on the cards that they'll start charging after

> a while when they have people hooked -- I am not sure how they are

> financed. I also worry about what happens when the web goes down and

> you need your references. Perhaps they have some local program as well...

> Endnote Web is also similar, I've been told by Hungarian friends,

> though since I don't use Endnote I haven't tried it.

> At 15:45 10/02/2011, you wrote:

>> Hi, Dave. Wonderful to hear from you.

>> Any possibility of extending Papyrus to work with newer operating

>> systems? I'm clinging to my old office Mac so I can run Classic

>> under Tiger; at home, I'm using DOSBOX under Snow Leopard (along with

>> Word for DOS). All so I can run Papyrus. Which is still head and

>> shoulders above the competition.

>> Raisa Deber

>> On 10-Feb-11, at 12:18 AM, Dave Goldman wrote:

>>> There haven't been any posts here for several months, so I thought

>>> I'd better confirm that the listserv system is still working!

>>> --

>>> Dave Goldman (dave at ResearchSoftwareDesign.com)

>>> Research Software Design The PAPYRUS Bibliography System

>>> 617 SW Hume Street