[Papyrus-L] Sudden Strange Behavior

John Kiernan jkiernan at uwo.ca
Sun Dec 28 01:42:03 EST 2008

Dear John Fennick,
You were busy Papyrusing early on Christmas day. The program's author should send you a medal!

I've used Papyrus for ?15 years, and survived the sad transitions from DOS to Winders 3.?, 9?.*, 2000 (which was good!), XP (a disappointment) and now Vista (an abomination). Papyrus won't run under Vista. Let us keep our XP systems alive as long as we can.

I can run Papyrus with no difficulty with Windows XP, Service Pack 3, on 2 different computers (one with an LCD screen and one with an older CRT colour monitor). The program is installed in C:\REFS\PAPYRUS, and has a shortcut icon on the Windows desktop. Right-clicking the icon brings up a menu with "Properties" as the last item. Left-clicking "Properties" brings up all sorts of options. Under "Screen" it is essential to mark "Full-screen", NOT "Window". If you try to run Papyrus in a window smaller than the whole screen, the program freezes whenever it's necessary to make any kind of selection from a list.

If you run Papyrus from the pathetic "command prompt" that comes with Windows versions 95 and higher, or from an excellent freeware DOS emulator such as 4NT or Take Command, you must go full-screen (Alt+Enter) BEFORE starting Papyrus. Pressing Alt+Enter with Papyrus already running in a little window does not solve the problem with selecting from lists. If Papyrus freezes, you can lose the changes and additions made in that session.

Hope this helps, and best Christmas wishes,

John Kiernan
Port Stanley, Ontario (Home)
UWO, London, Canada (Work)