[Papyrus-L] Sudden Strange Behavior

John Fennick jhf2 at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 24 17:59:55 EST 2008

Running XP, recently with SP 3.

When I open Papyrus often a solid black screen appears. Task manager
does allow stopping PAP. ON second try, it opens, "New Entry" seems
to work. But LIST/GROUP takes at least two tries to come up with the
"Is this the File?". "YES" then brings up "Format OK?", "YES" then
brings up the Destination list on Device. The system is usually
frozen at this point but sometimes it allows a selection of a device,
then freezes. On rare occasion, freezing occurs during misc. other
command sequences.
I have tried:
reinstalling PAP
run anti-virus on all files
backed-up and restored the BIB files
downloaded and reinstalled a fresh copy of PAP
Pap resides on another partition so I also tried loading it into "C".
Most luck was recovering a complete OS partition from the
oldest stored image, which worked fine until: thinking all was well,
I made a new image (two on separate disks). Unhappily, even though I
deleted all intermediate dated images first, the new images pushed
the oldest one to limbo. I do think that oldest image was prior to SP
3 for XP installation, but not sure.

I uninstalled all (but SP 3) windows "Updates" to the date of that
lost image - no help.
I am reluctant to uninstall SP 3 because that installation was real pain.

Any thoughts on what else I might try?

thanks

John Fennick
jhf2 at bellsouth.net