[Papyrus-L] Papyrus and Vista

John Kiernan jkiernan at uwo.ca
Wed Sep 24 00:38:20 EDT 2008

Thanks John Rodgers. I may well give Endnote a try. I've never used Ebay, and didn't know they auctioned 2nd-hand software. I wonder if people also sell their old programs on Kijiji.

I prefer WordPerfect to MS-Word because WP provides closer control of the hidden formatting instructions. It's easy to permanently lose a big chunk of a Word file. WordPerfect X3 does truer saving to .doc and .rtf files than did WordPerfect 9.

Unfortunately WP-X3 has dropped WP9's file exchanging with older DOS word processors such as WordStar, MultiMate, VolksWriter etc. Two versions of WordPerfect are now needed to work with Papyrus.

Amazingly, WordStar (Version 7 for DOS) works really well under Vista, better than under XP or Win98. It's important to preserve compatibility with earlier word processors and not replace them with the latest versions. Any computer bought in the last 5 years can easily accommodate all the old and new programs. It's important not to discard the older versions of word processors.

John Kiernan
Anatomy, UWO
London, Canada
= = =