[Papyrus-L] Filter

Raisa Deber raisa.deber at utoronto.ca
Sun Oct 29 16:54:00 EST 2006

I use the bb method frequently to back up and restore; no file is
greater than 300 k, so you'll be able to get them onto floppies
without much trouble.  (You may need more than one.)   We're using
one master data set for our research group, into which all
modifications go.  BB files are created daily and put on our server;
we also e-mail them as necessary,.  The file now has over 14,000
references, which means about 12 ref.bb files.  Members of our group
are using a number of different versions of Windows; indeed, I'm
using it under Mac Classic.  We've had great success in being able to
restore to them all.  (To avoid path issues, we recommend that all
windows users copy all bb files over into the papyrus home
directory.)  Mind you, we don't use notecards, but everything else
works fine, with the exception of a few issues with special
characters when going between Papyrus 7 and Papyrus 8.  We've never
lost anything.  (But why not upgrade to the most recent version of
Papyrus 7 on the older computer?)
Let me know if you have any problems.
Raisa Deber

On Oct 29, 2006, at 9:21 PM, w.t.l.jr at juno.com wrote:

> Thanks Dave. My REF.BIB file just barely fits on a floppy. I should
> have mentioned that I also tried to use a memory stick that I
> bought at CompUSA, and was assured by the clerk and both the
> package info and the instruction sheet that it would work with
> Windows 98/98 SE, but when I tried it it did not work. The
> Technical Help person for the product then told me that it required
> Windows 98 SE, not 98. That was some time back, so I don't remember
> what brand it was and I can't find it now. I have assumed that more
> recent memory sticks are even less likely to be backward compatible
> with Windows 98. Can someone suggest one?
>
> I have been hesitant about the Papyrus backup method for fear that
> I would lose something when the .BB files were created. I think I
> tried a test of it with smaller set of .BIB files and had a
> problem, but that also was some time ago. My version of Papyrus on
> the older computer is 7.0.12.
>
> Bill Lindsay

Raisa Deber, PhD
Professor, Department of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation
Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
Director, M-THAC (From Medicare to Home and Community) Research Unit
(www.m-thac.org)
Health Sciences Building
155 College Street Suite 425
Toronto, ON  M5T 3M6