[Papyrus-L] Saga of a Papyrus data conversion

Derek B. Cornish 100341.2151 at compuserve.com
Sat Oct 28 17:54:45 EDT 2006

Jim -

Thanks very much - from a relatively new Papyrus user - for your detailed
description of converting to Ref Manager. I am sure it will be helpful, not
only for Ref Manager users, but others contemplating moving to a Windows
program.

In fact I did just that after having accumulated a small collection of
references in Papyrus - many of which I had imported into Papyrus from text
files using the excellent intructions for building filters. I am now using
Biblioscape, although I must say I find it somewhat fragile and
temperamental, constantly requiring index rebuilding. Partly because of
these problems I have been considering returning to Papyrus, which I was
quite reluctant to leave. I was very interested in your comment:

> First, until very recently I used Papyrus on the most modern versions of
Windows XP, and it should work fine, providing you do a few tweaks to the
"Command Prompt".

What tweaks did you use, and do they solve all the XP problems mentioned
from time to time on this mailing-list? I still use a number of DOS programs
on XP, not because I am some sort of information technology dinosaur, but
simply because they work better for me than their Windows equivalents. Some
DOS programs in question are: Quicken (UK v6 with UK and US accounts),
Grandview outliner, Lotus Agenda, and PC-Write - all used with TameDOS
[http://www.tamedos.com/] to improve their functioning in an XP DOS window.

Derek