[Papyrus-L] Word 2003

Raisa Deber raisa.deber at utoronto.ca
Tue May 4 13:45:28 EDT 2004

At 10:57 AM 5/4/2004 -0500, you wrote:

>Hiho lonely users
>    I'm using papyrus with this version of the what we might call the
> "Loose Canon" :) of the word processing world.  I've tried various tricks
> but I get lots of gobbledygook (header type junk) showing up on the
> output from Papyrus.  Anybody have a clue?
>   Thanks,
>   John

I have had exactly the same problem.  I am not using Word 2002/2003, but
some of my students are, and even a one-line ("This is a test") program
gets turned into gibberish when processed by Papyrus.  There is something
about the file format of these later Word versions which can't be processed
by DOS programs (not just Papyrus; other programs give similar
problems).  I haven't had much luck finding out precisely what the issue
is; seems to be something relating to html tags, but I wouldn't bet on
it.  My suggestion is trying to save it in an earlier Word format, but I'd
appreciate knowing what works so I can pass it on to others.  (I still use
WordPerfect whenever possible, where the problem doesn't arise - yet.  I'm
certain that eventually it too will be 'improved' to make other packages
non-functional.  I also don't have the problem when I process it through
Word 2000, which is why I'm suggesting the 'save as earlier version' kludge.)

I just went hunting through some sites; the "conversion" sites are full of
complaints that various things will no longer work with Word 2003,
including earlier versions of Word and Works.  There don't seem to be any
fixes posted other than "convert everything to Word 2003."
Indeed, one post (http://www.mcse.ms/archive137-2004-2-390660.html) tells
us that "Word 2003 removed the ability to save in any WP format. (I
returned the product primarily for that reason.) There are a couple of
formats, WP included, listed in the Save As dialog that simply do not work.
When you try them, you get an error message that states that the converter
is only intended for importing, not exporting. This behavior is confirmed
by the Help screens. (It's not at all clear why they are listed in the Save
As dialog since they don't work.) You can use the RTF format option, but
some versions of WP don't do nearly as good a job of importing RTF than
Word used to do of exporting WP format.  I removed MS Office 2003, went
back to using Word 2000, and still could not save in WP format, even after
repairing the installation. To get the old converter to work, I had to
modify my Office 2000 installation to remove the converters and add them
back in."

So, the short answer is that I would be very cautious about using a package
which won't play well with others, but you may not have a choice.  The long
answer is - please tell me which (if any) formats you can save as which
won't lose all formatting and will still work.
Thanks
Raisa

Raisa B. Deber, PhD
Professor
Department of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation
University of Toronto
McMurrich Building, 2nd Floor
12 Queen's Park Crescent West
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8
telephone: (416) 978-8366
fax:  (416) 978-7350
e-mail:  raisa.deber at utoronto.ca
Director: M-THAC (From Medicare To Home And Community) Research
Unit.  www.m-thac.org