[Papyrus-L] Chapters

Raisa Deber raisa.deber at utoronto.ca
Sun Feb 22 11:43:41 EST 2004

At 06:52 PM 2/22/2004 +1100, YColeman wrote:

>Dear John Rodgers
>
>The papyrus numbers (eg %%12345(Adam &Eve,-4567)%%) are gone
>from the working document, and nothing is in the final document.

Two things I'd check.
First, what is the name/path of the working document, and what name are you
telling Papyrus to use for the output document?  Note that Papyrus, as a
Dos program, is using the short file names derived from long file names; if
they aren't unique, then Windows may be overwriting things.  In short, the
working document should still have the %%; after text extract, it is the
output document which would be missing them.  So it sounds like you somehow
overwrote the working document with the output document.  What happens if
you do a test with a copy of the working document, renamed to have a short
file name (e.g., chap1.doc)?  And specify that the output file is named
something like chapt1.new, or even chapt1n.doc?  (If you specified
chapt1.doc, then it might indeed overwrite, unless Dave had built in more
error checking than I think likely.)

Second, what output format are you using with the text extract?  Sounds
like you may be specifying an output format which is blank, or otherwise
not giving you what you want.  If you specified a Vancouver type output,
you'd get numbers in the text where the references were.  An APA one would
give you author names,dates in brackets.  But you only get the actual list
of references from specifying LIST, using the right output format, into
another file.  You then merge it where you want the reference list to be.

It should be explained in the free manuals, under Text Extract.
Hope this helps.
Raisa Deber