[Papyrus-L] Papyrus and Lyx?

Dave Goldman dave at ResearchSoftwareDesign.com
Sat Sep 6 01:51:10 EDT 2003

Here's our standard, longstanding, info about using Papyrus Version
7.0 with LaTeX.

(For Papyrus Version 8.0 for Macintosh, which includes extensive
LaTeX support, see Chapter 51 of the Reference manual.)

We do not claim to have a "seamless" connection with LaTeX and
BibTeX. But we have worked with several LaTeX users over the past
several years to get PAPYRUS to exchange data in a useful way.

(1) PAPYRUS can read a LaTeX manuscript, search for embedded PAPYRUS
reference citation markers, and write a new LaTeX manuscript in which
those markers have been replaced with a superscripted number, or an
author-year citation, etc. PAPYRUS can also create a LaTeX file
containing the bibliography (although there is still some discussion
about the optimal use of TeX codes in that file for things like
italics and spacing).

In this approach, you use PAPYRUS _instead_ of BibTeX.

You might also want to take a look at
<http://www.in.umist.ac.uk/papyrus/paptex.pdf>, which documents one
PAPYRUS/LaTeX user's methods.

(2) PAPYRUS can import references from a BibTeX database. We have a
little converter program that will "normalize" the BibTeX file, and
then a PAPYRUS import format (based on an early version of BibTeX,
but modifiable by you) to read in that normalized file.

(3) We have not set up a PAPYRUS output format to export references
from PAPYRUS to a BibTeX file. But this is a straightforward thing
for a PAPYRUS user to do.

    Dave Goldman (dave at ResearchSoftwareDesign.com)

    Research Software Design            The PAPYRUS Bibliography System
    617 SW Hume Street
    Portland OR 97219-4458 (U.S.A.)     503-796-1368, fax 503-452-8920

    Technical Support: support at ResearchSoftwareDesign.com
      Other Questions: info at ResearchSoftwareDesign.com
                  Web: http://www.ResearchSoftwareDesign.com/