[Papyrus-L] System slowdown under XP

John Rodgers jrodgers at bcm.tmc.edu
Sun Aug 24 10:18:24 EDT 2003

Apparently not.   A number of people have gnashed and groaned over this
one.   I think there is some sense that the problem involves how XP keeps
track of how different programs access the same data files.  There are ways
to change the compatibility level of XP but they do not seem to fix the
problem.

    The one possibility I have thought about but have not tried is to
install a program (I've heard about one but can't remember the name of it)
that allow you to install several operating systems on one PC.  Then you
can use XP for most tasks  (accessing external devices) but you can switch
to an earlier version of Windows for doing important things like writing
papers.
-john Rodgers