[Papyrus-L] copying

Raisa Deber raisa.deber at utoronto.ca
Mon Jul 7 14:48:12 EDT 2003

At 09:51 AM 7/7/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>thanks john, but that is not exactly what i want to do, even though the
>procedure that you recommend may be similar.  i have two existing
>databases, and i want to import some records from one into the other.  i
>made a group of the records i wanted to import in database 1, but when i
>wanted to import it into my database 2, papyrus told me it could not open
>it.  how should i proceed.

I would have made the same suggestion as John.  How did you make the
group?  Once you have the group, use the LIST command (from the search or
group menus) to print it to a file, being sure to use papx format.  Papyrus
defaults to a .lst extension, which you will probably want to keep.
(Indeed, it calls the file search.lst, but you could use something else.
I'd keep it below 8 characters, though.)  Then go to the main screen and
use IMPORT; import the lst file, using PAPX format.  (I just tried it out,
and it worked fine).  It will give you a number of options re: keeping
numbers, keeping keywords, etc.

If you still have problems, let me know.
Raisa Deber
>thanks, bryna
>
>John Rodgers wrote:
>
>>I'm not sure I understand what you want to do- but I think you are asking
>>how you could make a new database with a subset of your records.
>>    1. Get your group.
>>    2. List the group using papx format. Note where you are saving it!
>>    3) make your new directory (in DOS or Windows)
>>    4. From within Papyrus, change to the new directory and say yes when
>> it wants to create a new database there.
>>    5.)Import the group using papx format.
>>
>>At 10:02 AM 7/4/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>>
>>>I would like to know how to copy records from one directory into
>>>another.  i tried creating a group of the records i wanted and importing
>>>the group into the directory i wanted it to be in, but it didnt work.
>>>thanks, bryna

Raisa B. Deber, PhD
Professor
Department of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation
University of Toronto
McMurrich Building, 2nd Floor
12 Queen's Park Crescent West
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8