[Papyrus-L] Papyrus under Linux

Fletcher Cole f.cole at unsw.edu.au
Thu Jun 5 03:43:24 EDT 2003

Dear FG:

You could also have the best of all possible OS worlds and try MacOS X
(now essentially a BSD box).

In my experience the (superior) Mac version of Papyrus runs sweetly enough
in MacOS X  "Classic mode" (a built-in emulation of MacOS 9), and you seem
to have ready access to everything OS X has to offer (so far anyway) -
including a high proportion of open source.

Papyrus still has important features that the market dominators don't -- so
I'm not even thinking of chucking it.

--  Fletcher COLE
___________________
School of Information Systems, Technology & Management (SISTM),
University of New South Wales, Sydney  2052
QUAD2110         f.cole at unsw.edu.au
tel 9385 7124      fax 9662 4061

|---------+------------------------------------------>
|         |           "Dr. F. G. Patterson"          |
|         |           <d2x at drfgp2.dynu.com>          |
|         |           Sent by:                       |
|         |           papyrus-l-admin at ResearchSoftwar|
|         |           eDesign.com                    |
|         |                                          |
|         |                                          |
|         |           05/06/2003 03:59 PM            |
|         |           Please respond to papyrus-l    |
|         |                                          |
|---------+------------------------------------------>
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                       |
  |       To:       papyrus-l at ResearchSoftwareDesign.com                                                  |
  |       cc:                                                                                             |
  |       Subject:  [Papyrus-L] Papyrus under Linux                                                       |
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Attention Linux/Unix users:

I have been running Papyrus for years on various windows systems, and I
still do that.  However, I have been migrating to Linux for several
months, and I can find almost no reasons to continue with the Microsoft
products.

One problem remaining is Papyrus.  I am interested in learning if anyone
has run this system on a Linux or otherwise on a Unix operating system.
My first thought was to use the program "WINE" that is commonly used to
run DOS and WIndows programs under Linux.  This was my second attempt
ever, and I got an error message (see below) that seemed to make little
sense from the WINE program.  I would like to hear from you or anyone
who has configured WINE to run PAP.exe.  I am not interested in a dual
boot system.

Many thanks.

FGPatterson

--
<< the error msg >>

Warning: unprotecting the first 64KB of memory to allow real-mode calls.
         NULL pointer accesses will no longer be caught.
Packed file is corrupt