[Papyrus-L] Switching from Papyrus

Jan Herrmann jan.herrmann at cetacea.de
Wed Oct 30 15:44:28 EST 2002

Tina,
take care and try to check any application in discussion with your
big number of references. Demos should be available for all of them.
Or ask back what sizes of databases the people on the list are using.

I maintain a collection of 50.000+ references in Papyrus for
Macintosh and wouldn't even think about switching to Endnote (for
Mac) after having experienced a demo with ~ 30.000 references.
Endnote for classic Mac OS had a limit of ~32.000 references per
database.
I hope it isn't the case for Mac OS X or Windows, but searching or
replacing in big databases could block the classic Mac OS for quite a
while.

Unfortunately Dave is an unlucky person. Having created the most
intelligent reference manager available (Papyrus for Mac really is a
work of art), modern Mac users (UNIX Mac OS X) have to run Papyrus
in a special environment again. It's good to know that Apple made
hard work integrating the classic environment, so it's not comparable
to what Windows user had to experience with the MSDOS box. Today
Papyrus for Mac runs just nice in the classic environment of OS X.
But knowing Apple's unpredictable behaviour (which is one big reason
for the lack of Papyrus for Windows), I doubt that the classic
environment will exist for enough years to keep me happy.

My personal solution for the Papyrus dilemma is trying to find a
company who would be willing to continue the Mac development.
Hopefully Dave can negotiate a fine solution with them.

Best  Wishes,
Jan
--
--> Jan Herrmann [jan.herrmann at cetacea.de]