[Papyrus-L] (no subject)

Hugh Gunz hugh.gunz at utoronto.ca
Thu Aug 1 17:11:56 EDT 2002

Hi John

I think there's some kind of limit to the size of the database, but it's a
very large number and I think it's a system limitation rather than a
Biblioscape one -- certainly it's much bigger than any database I've heard
people talk about.

Like pretty much all of the other systems I've looked at, Biblioscape
assigns its own identifying number to each reference. Our way round this
was to put the Papyrus reference number in an appropriate field in the
Biblioscape database, so each reference has a Biblioscape and a Papyrus
number. It's not ideal, but it does address the problem a lot of us have,
namely that we file our reprints by Papyrus number. It doesn't deal with
the problem that you may have a bunch of papers with Papyrus codes in them.
They'll need changing, unfortunately. I haven't heard of anyone who's found
a package that gets around this one; it'd be interesting to know if there
was one.

Hugh Gunz