[Papyrus-L] PAPYRUS, windows XP, Clare Imholtz, and Endnote.

Hugh Gunz hugh.gunz at utoronto.ca
Wed Apr 17 08:21:01 EDT 2002

Papyrus runs just fine on NT-based systems -- several of us use(d) it in
Win2000, for example. You have to make sure you follow the instructions on
the Papyrus website for installing it on these platforms, though (there are
a number of settings you need to alter), and you need to be aware that
there's a workaround for handling the problem that Papyrus can't access the
NT clipboard. That's described on the website, too, I'm pretty sure, but if
not there are plenty of people on the list who know how to do it.

I'm no expert on exporting to EndNote, but when Martin Evans and I exported
our Papyrus database to Biblioscape we modified the RISOUT.FLB export
filter to include notecards, and wrote a WordPerfect macro to move the
notecard material into a field that Biblioscape could use. You'll find the
filter and macro at http://individual.utoronto.ca/evans/instructions.html .

In case anyone's wondering, we were put onto Biblioscape by someone else on
this list (sorry, I've forgotten who) and it's proven an excellent move:
it's cheaper than the ISI stable (EndNote, ProCite and Reference Manager)
and, because it comes with a web server and a database server, it works
very well when you have a group of people needing to share the same
database (either over a LAN or the Internet). For basic use, including
formatting files, users don't even need their own copy -- all they need is
a web browser.

Sorry -- didn't mean to sound like a commercial. No, I'm not on commission :-)

Hugh Gunz
University of Toronto