[Papyrus-L] problem with Papyrus

Raisa Deber raisa.deber at utoronto.ca
Fri Feb 22 11:19:08 EST 2002

At 04:23 PM 2/21/2002 -1000, you wrote:
>I have used Papyrus for some time now and been quite happy with
>it.  However, I recently had to upgrade my computer (a PC running Windows
>2000 Professional) and am having some problem making Papyrus work
>properly.  The biggest problem is that when I run a search and then try to
>view the product on screen, the print-to-screen is very slow.  I have
>tried lots of things with properties on the launch icon and attempted to
>reinstall various times.    No luck.

This sounds odd.  I run Windows 2000 Professional, and don't have that
problem at all.  Check the properties instructions on the Papyrus web site
on how to run under Windows.
http://www.researchsoftwaredesign.com/ftp/winNT.txt

Sounds like a setup problem on the Windows end.

>   I also can no longer cut and paste a formatted reference from Papyrus
> into another program such as Word.

This one is simple.  The Papyrus approved method is to go to preferences,
go to OS2/NT Clipboard, and then indicate that you want to use a disk file
for the clipboard.  You can then insert it into Word or Wordperfect
documents (indeed, you can even write a macro to do so).  If you don't like
the default formatting under Cite, however, a good kludge is to directly
use the list option, which lets you output to a disk file of your
choice.  If you have only one reference, you can get there directly from
List.  If you have a few references you want formatted and output, it is
easy to set up a group (group menu, new group), put the Papyrus numbers you
want to cite into it, and then run list (to file) from the group menu,
using the format of your choice.    Give it a file name, and you can then
copy your references where-ever you please.

Now, as for how to cut and paste INTO Papyrus from Word documents, web
pages, etc....Dave??

>Can anyone provide a solution to the problem(s) I have
>described?  Research Software Design had no answer and informed me that
>they are no longer supporting this software.

This sounds odd as well.  I was under the impression they were indeed
supporting it, but just not updating it to a genuine Windows version (can't
we change your mind?)  RSD is usually great in giving answers.
>  Maybe it is time to upgrade to another product.  If this route were
> taken, however, does anyone have a good suggestion that will allow me to
> keep hold of my existing bibliographic database in Papyrus?  I would hate
> to go back to ground zero.
I'm still sticking with Papyrus, until I hear VERY good reasons to the
contrary.
Cheers
Raisa Deber

>Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
>
>Fred Prahl
>COAS/OSU
>Corvallis, OR

Raisa B. Deber, PhD
Professor
Department of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation
University of Toronto
McMurrich Building, 2nd Floor
12 Queen's Park Crescent West
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8