[Papyrus-L] Exporting Papyrus Reference Numbers

Duncan Branley duncan at gold.ac.uk
Wed Oct 17 04:55:00 EDT 2001

--On 17 October 2001 08:08 +1000 Carlos Caceres <caceresc at minmet.uq.edu.au>
wrote:

> One of the recent e-mails made me realise how dependent I am on the
> Papyrus number.
> If anybody founds an alternative program that can incorporate this number
> somehow, please make it public.

Just edit the papyrus output format you're using to transfer your data to
another program to include the reference number:

Select the format to Edit | Indentation Numbering | Each reference may be
preceded by... select Ref#.

You could then import that number into a field in your target database -
possibly one you have customised and called "Pap Ref #".

Duncan

PS We switched over the summer to EndNote 5 for all staff and students
personal bibliographic databases on both PCs and Macs.  It will be far
easier to teach new research students and its working in with Word makes it
terribly attractive.  Feedback from students was that they found Papyrus
difficult and ugly.  The main problem is importing Papyrus notecards - I'm
devising a 'solution' for that currently.  If Dave would like it on his
website, I'd be happy to send it to him once it's completely tested and
documented.

I'm also looking at Biblioscape for its client-server capabilities using
InterBase.  It looks the most promising for our wider institutional
research activity database, which we currently run using Papyrus.

PPS Thanks for all the help over the years, Dave.

Duncan Branley  duncan at gold.ac.uk
  Applications Officer, Information Services
    Goldsmiths' College, University of London
      New Cross, LONDON  SE14 6NW
Tel: +44 (0)20 7919 7708  Fax: +44 (0)20 7919 7556