Betreft: Re: [Papyrus-L] Future Papyrus

Andrew McLachlan (PhD) Mclachla at lincoln.ac.nz
Mon Oct 15 17:21:26 EDT 2001

Hi All

I too am saddened by Dave's announcement.

Regarding Windows, Linux etc. versions, I have often wondered whether
it would be possible to develop a native Windows (or Linux) front-end
that acts much like PAP_RES does in DOS. That is, just does simple
searches (or even more complex searches) and then allows pasting into
a document. A native Win32 program would eliminate some of the
difficulties of upgrading to WinNT, Win2k etc. It would seem that a
program that can read and search a Papyrus database would be
relatively simple to create compared to a Windows/Linux version with
new features etc..

The excellent Papyrus DOS program would remain for creating and
editing the database (albeit with some of the problems mentioned by
earlier correspondents).

Does this sound feasible, or a workable solution to keeping Papyrus
useable for a few more years?

Cheers

--
Andrew McLachlan,  PhD.  <MCLACHLA at lincoln.ac.nz>
Ecology & Entomology Group,  P.O. Box 84,  Lincoln University,